From: knut.stange.osmundsen@mynd.no
Subject: Fwd: ICAT PE/CV support

Hi.

Kudos goes to Dave Evans and his team for doing an excellent job with ICAT to help Project Odin.

They've modified ICAT to support PE executables (as loaded by win32k.sys) and CodeView (CV) debug info. As you see from the mail below, a test
version is available.

Dave have been kind enough to let us test on one
condition:

Feedback should be reported to him, with a copy to me (my addition).

I've tested this successfully compiling smaller (like HelloWorld ;-) and larger applications (like FreeAmp) with Visual C++ v6.0 and debugging them.

I have not tested executables compiled with Watcom yet.

How to use it:

- First, you'll need two workstations:

1. A master which you work at and run ICAT from.

2. A victim which you install a debug version of the os2krnl.

I suggest you run IBM Peers at both workstations and export executables to the victim using Peer File Services.

NB. Make sure there is room for a large swap file on the victim.

- In addition these computers should be connected using a null-modem cable or decent (preferably token ring) networkcards using IBM certified drivers.

3Com cards generally don't work very well
(at least not for Sander and me). IBM Token Ring cards are known to work, Intel EthernetExpress 10/100M and IBM EtherJet PCI card should also work quite well.

- If you're not familiar with ICAT please study documentation available with the latest official release!

http://service.boulder.ibm.com/icat/

- SET CAT_GROUP_IMPORTS=1

This will remove annoying multiple imported DLL entries in the modules you're debugging.

- The vicitm should use Win32k.sys with some additional parameters:

device=c:odin32system32win32k.sys -1- -pe:pe2lx -f:y

This line tells win32k.sys to use Pure Pe2Lx loader without the all-in-one-object fix, and to preload every executable on the system (that's why you need much swap and/or memory).

ICAT will recognize executables where the all-in-one-object fix is applied but fails to interpret them properly. Preloading executables is done to ease debugging. ICAT can not set breakpoint in pages which are not present.

Due to its nature (as a driver/kernel debugger) it will not try to make the page present since this may/will change system state.

(You could make pages present using the '.I <pageaddress>' command of the kdb.) By preloading all executable modules, data and code will usually be present.

Just note that preloading seems to be done after the "Load occence" breakpoints are hit, so you'll have some trouble setting breakpoints on a load occurence without using the .I command in the passthru window.

I may find a workaround for this one day...

- The generally easiest way to stop the process and invoke the debugger is to insert breakpoint instructions in the code which for example is triggered by some environment variable.

We'll probably add some generic ones in the Odin32 DLLs soon.

- The progam must be compiled with CodeView debuginfo in the executable image (no program database!), relocations should not be stripped.

In the Visual C++ world this is:

compiler option: /Z7
linker options: /FIXED:NO /DEBUG /DEBUGTYPE:CV /PDB:NONE

In the Watcom world this could be something like this:

compiler options: /d2 /hc
linker options: debug codeview all

Just ask me if there is any Odin32/Win32k related issues which I have forgot or which arises.

Any problems with ICAT should be directed to Dave Evans with a copy to me.

Have fun, play around with it and eventually try do something useful!

Kind Regards,
knut

---------------------- Forwarded by Knut Stange Osmundsen/PMSN on 19.02.2001
22.21 ---------------------------

"Dave Evans" <davee@us.ibm.com> on 19.02.2001 16.07.24

Please respond to os2ddprog@yahoogroups.com

To: os2ddprog@yahoogroups.com
cc: (bcc: Knut Stange Osmundsen/PMSN)
Subject: [os2ddprog] ICAT PE/CV support

Folk:

We've been working w/ Knut to create a version of ICAT that supports PE/CV format for his (and others') Odin work.

We seem to have created a useful (to Knut) version that you can play w/ if interested (ftp from
service2.boulder.ibm.com (198.17.57.81) as user: icat1 pw: m5paring, icatpe.zip).

We added a new env var, CAT_GROUP_IMPORTS, that needs to be set to group objects that show up under your .exe into a single component in the DSC.

Note that we don't have COFF support in this version and may not add it as
you should be able to gen a PE/CV debug binary.

If you grab and use this version, please let me know off-line what your results are.

Regards,

Dave Evans
IBM Global Services
Bldg 962-2
745 West New Circle Rd
Lexington, KY 40511-1846

Voice: (859) 243-4873 (T/L 545)
Fax: (859) 243-4345
E-mail: davee@us.ibm.com

[ Leser: 160 ]

Datum Thema
07.01.2017 *

*

Name: * eMail: Benachrichtigung

Mit * markierte Felder müssen ausgefüllt werden !

( Zeige alle Einträge ) ( Zur Startübersicht )
Thema von: Leser Datum Zeit
 ODIN: IBM unterstützt Tests über das Netzwerk mit ICAT
GA16021.02.200112:25

php.net OpenIT © 1998-2017 by WebTeam OS2.org